Journalism 133: Prof. Craig: Final Project
The final project assignment involves writing and editing a 1500-word story and 500-word sidebar story about a subject of concern to San Jose State students. It is due on the last day of class (Monday, May 14) and will count for 25 percent of your class grade. The story topic should not be closely related to that of your previous assignment.
You have been randomly paired off into groups, and should use the remaining class time today to determine what subject you want to write about and possible subtopics for the sidebar story. You will make a brief presentation to the class about your chosen story next time.
As with a previous assignment, please put together a story plan you can discuss in class. This should include:
- The central idea of the story
- Who you believe would be the story's main audience (not just SJSU students but particular types, maybe alumni, etc.)
- The angles you would use in approaching the story
- The types of people (or specific individuals) you would try to talk to for the story
- Basic questions you would like to see answered by the story
- Potential secondary story ideas related to the topic, one of which could become your sidebar topic
You and your group partner will report on this story, with a minimum of four interviews (with actual people, not quoted from websites or otherwise secondhand) across the story and sidebar. You should aim to divide up tasks and put your initial story material together several days in advance, then get together and brainstorm. You are responsible for working with your group partner to edit and polish the project before submitting it.
|Group #||Student Names|
|2||Myla La Bine
Huan Xun Chan