Journalism 133: Prof. Craig: Story Ideas Exercise
Story Ideas Exercise
Within your group, go out on campus and find three ideas you believe could make interesting news stories for student media. For this exercise I ask that you avoid profiles – look for stories on issues or events relating to student life in some way.
For each of these three story ideas, please write up:
- A quick summary of the story and its probable main elements
- Who you believe would be the story's audience(s), on campus or off
- Suggestions for who might be interviewed for the story – specific individuals if possible, or types of people if necessary
- What a reporter would need to know or learn in the process of putting the story together
- Potential secondary story ideas related to the topic
Within your group, brainstorm different ideas and approaches to each story. If you come up with more than three appealing story topics, you must collectively choose the three strongest ones. Write up all of this and email it to me by Friday at midnight (I don't want to disrupt your weekend).
Mauricio La Plante
Hoi Shan Cheung
Melody Del Rio