Journalism 50: Environmental News
It has been argued that almost every news story contains one or more environmental angles. In this exercise you will test this theory.
Break up into groups and then, from the list below, collectively choose three of the listed stories. For each story, discuss (1) what an environmental angle to that story might be, and (2) what role(s) you believe a reporter should play in pursuing that angle, and why.
Answers should be at least 3-4 sentences in length for each of the three stories you analyze.
Reporters' roles: Disseminator, Interpreter, Watchdog, Adversary, Mobilizer
- Story 1: Mercury News: Earthquake in San Jose
- Story 2: Scientific American: Heaviest fish ever found
- Story 3: NY Times: Biden using 'Car Guy' Image
- Story 4: Mercury News: Google village launches
- Story 5: KTVU: Boy climbing Yosemite's El Capitan
- Story 6: SF Chronicle: Frost in Bay Area, Snow in Sierra
- Story 7: NBC News: Superbug infections spiked during pandemic
- Story 8: KRON4: Buried car removed from backyard of mansion
- Story 9: NPR: NASA successfully deflects asteroid